Friday, July 17, 2009

"I'm drawing a vampire face"

Today was eventful and successful. Michelle, Rose and I (Sarah), taught our first classes and had lots of fun. The kids at WIS are amazing, talented and refreshing. I can only imagine what it'd be like to move to Indonesia as a child and grow up here, and meeting these kids really expands the imagined reality I could create. Today our theme was creating because we are are given an imagination to create with and we all created cool things. The younger kids I worked with, as a group, came up with a poem about a wonderful polar bear who is 5 years old, likes to grow and eats seals. One of the boys said he would like to ride a seal. They were all sad that the polar bear ate the seal but they were also glad that the bear got to eat. We can learn so much about creativity from children, who always do what they love and forget the rest. If a child isn't interested in what you are doing, they will either tell you, or ignore you and do something they want to do. That's pretty amazing to me. Such freedom. Rose and I encountered this boldness again when she was telling a boy something and he told her, "Can you talk slower, I don't understand what you're saying." But it wasn't like he was trying to be nice about it, he just stated it matter of factly. They're so cute. I am enjoying everything but one thing, well one thing that really sticks out, the smell of burning trash, burning lava, basically just smoke, constantly in the air and it's starting to give me sinus headaches. I include mention of this solely that you may have some conflicting drama to read... Oh, and I haven't watched any TV since arriving in Surabaya, 3-4 days. That's a lot for me. I am so grateful for this trip, I really am learning a lot and enjoying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment